Deluge! Wondering about your insurance coverage for water & flood damage?

The East Coast has been slammed with downpours that have been swamping roads and requiring rescues as the storm cut its path up the eastern seaboard. The flooding has already claimed 5 lives. Now, drenching rains are bearing down on New England.
No doubt many will be checking their policies and calling agents in the next day or two to find out what is and what isn’t covered in terms of water and flood damage. The Insurance Information Institute offers this useful video:

Insurance coverage
Standard homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage, so unless you have a specific flood policy, you may be out of luck. Check to see if you have a “sump pump failure” rider to supplement your homeowners, which may offer some relief.
Even if your homeowners policy doesn’t cover flooding, if you have experienced anything more than minor damage, you may want to file a claim:

  • When your insurer investigates the actual cause of the loss, you may have some coverage.
  • If you are eligible for FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) assistance, you will likely need a letter of denial from your insurer. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate any assistance that insurance already covers.
  • Your insurer and agent may be able to suggest resources and service firms for emergency restoration professionals in your area. They may have other resources and advice available to help you mitigate and recover from your loss.
  • If you have comprehensive insurance as part of your standard auto insurance policy, you may be covered for water or flood damage to your car. You would need to contact your agent to check the specific coverage provisions in your policy.

One thought on “Deluge! Wondering about your insurance coverage for water & flood damage?

  1. Groundwater seepage is the most common problem people have after heavy rains, and neither the home policy nor flood insurance provide much coverage for these.
    We encourage most folks who have any kind of risk to groudwater seepage to do two things get a sump pump, and add “sump poump failure” coverage to their homeowners policy. Most carriers offer it, but limit the coverage amount to $2000, $5,000 or similar specific limit. It’s generally not expensive.
    For more on assessing whether your home insurance is ready to handle what you need handled, see our checklist, whiteboard videos and cost saving strategies at

Comments are closed.