What kind of coverage do I absolutely need for my motorcycle insurance policy?

This is a guest post from Renaissance Alliance member agency Encharter Insurance.

The weather is getting warmer and summer is finally here! If you own a motorcycle, summer is definitely your favorite time of year, your sunglasses on and the wind blowing through your hair on the open road. Before you hit the road however, you may be asking: what kind of coverage do I absolutely need for my motorcycle insurance policy?
The amount of coverage you are required to have varies by state, but a standard policy requires that you have at least property damage and bodily injury liability coverage. Typically, those two will cover you in the event of an at-fault accident. Comprehensive and collision coverage can usually help you replace or repair your bike in the event of an accident or a theft. Something like medical payments coverage may be worth asking your agent about–for motorcycles, there is typically no personal injury protection, so if someone doesn’t have health insurance, they would not have coverage for medical payments without medical payments coverage.
Motorcycle riders also often ask if they can only have coverage on the months when they drive their motorcycle. While this is an option, be aware that it could leave you unprotected against things like vandalism, theft, and fire during the uninsured time. Who knows, you might even be tempted to take the bike out on a warm, winter day and you wouldn’t want to be without coverage!
When making decisions about your insurance coverage, it is always best to talk with your agent. For more information about the right motorcycle coverage, or other insurance coverage, contact your agent.