September is National Preparedness Month and this year, the theme focuses on ensuring that you have an emergency plan in place – waiting until a disaster happens is too late. Could your household pass the 10 Minute Challenge? And in a disaster, you might not even have 10 minutes to plan!
Here are just a few of the things you should do in advance:
- Find out about community resources and emergency services and keep on your smart phone
- Have a plan with your family for what to do and where to meet if disaster strikes
- Build an emergency kit and a car kit
- Store copies of all emergency documents in a safe alternate location in case you can’t access them in your home or office
- Have contingency plans for your pets.
September 30 is National Prepareathon Day – this site offers info on how to prepare for an earthquake, flood, tornado, winter storm, wildfire or hurricane. Find tips for creating an emergency plan and a family communication plan and get access to tools and resources to help in the planning.
Here are a few useful resources we’ve posted in the past: