The world’s a mess, the market’s queasy, it’s the depths of February, and everyone has the flu. But cheer up! It’s almost Valentine’s Day! Let’s spread some love and goodwill by celebrating Random Acts of Kindness Week while we look at some of the good stuff, big and small, happening in the world:
- Amidst all the hoopla of a Super Bowl victory parade, Philadelphia Eagles rookie cornerback Sidney Jones lost his cellphone. Fans found it and returned it to him, after snapping a few celebratory selfies with the Super Bowl champ.
- In Wilmington, North Carolina, school crossing guard Minnie Galloway isn’t just keeping kids safe: she’s keeping them warm.
- But not all of the Good Samaritans directing traffic are crossing guards!
- Meanwhile in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, restaurant owner Elian Elias devotes a couple of hours of his day to providing free meals to the homeless.
- In good news for the whole planet, France is two years ahead of schedule in switching away from coal-fired power plants to renewable energy. French President Emmanuel Macron announced at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davis, Switzerland that France would shut down all coal-burning plants by 2021.
- In Hamilton, New Zealand, Senior Constable Neale Williams recognized a car he’d impounded before. Turned out the driver needed assistance getting her driver’s license, so Williams stepped in and offered his time and money to help her get back on the road – legally.
- Speaking of random acts of kindness, rapper Drake has been on a roll recently, throwing down more than $125,000 on good works in Miami.
Come on, Drake! You’re making the rest of us look bad!
But you don’t have to have rap-superstar status (or a rap-superstar bank balance) to make a difference. There’s all sorts of ways to get involved, starting right at your front door. To help out in your community, try typing “local volunteering near me” into your favorite search engine.
Need more inspiration? Buzzfeed has you covered with 101 ideas for random acts of kindness. Now get out there and commit some Random Kindness!