If you are a Massachusetts driver, here are two important notices from the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles.
1. Temporary shutdown this week:
The MA Registry Of Motor Vehicles is converting to a new computer system so plan accordingly if you need services. All services will be shutdown from Thursday 3/22 at 7:00 PM and will reopen on Monday 3/26 at 8:00 am.
The shutdown will affect:
- All RMV offices
- All RMV services offered through AAA offices
- All online services
- All inspection services at stations that inspect
- All inspections through dealerships that inspect
For more information, click for the MA RMV shutdown alert.
2. New Massachusetts Licensing & Renewal Requirements as of 3/25
On March 26, 2018, to get or renew any driver’s license, ID card, or learner’s permit, you need documentation showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law.
Related: After October of 2020, you will need either a passport or REAL ID when you fly in the U.S. or enter certain federal buildings.
See the MA RMV Guide for more information on meeting these requirements.