If you are a Massachusetts commercial trucker engaged in intrastate commerce take note: Effective September 1, 2018, you must obtain and display a US DOT number for designated vehicles. The number must be obtained and filed with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and made visible on vehicle markings by that date, as per 540 CMR 2.22, the Commercial Marking section of the Registry of Motor Vehicles regulations.
According to State Police, “failure to obtain and display a USDOT number on your vehicles may result in a civil fine and/or placing your CMVs Out of Service until such time as your company obtains a USDOT Number.”
What MA commercial vehicles does this affect?
According to the MA Association of Insurance Agents, “The changes could affect customers that are written on a Massachusetts Auto Policy class 30 such as plumbers, carpenters, electrician, etc.”
The MA Department of Public Utilities Transportation Oversight says that affected vehicles include those that are:
- Engaged in intrastate commerce having a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds; or
- Used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding; or
- Designed to transport more than 15 passengers including the driver, used in intrastate commerce in Massachusetts.
Note: Intrastate operation means you conduct business solely within Massachusetts.
How do you obtain a US DOT number?
According to the MA State Police, to obtain a USDOT, go to the FMSCA website. Follow links to obtain an intrastate USDOT number. Your company will be issued a USDOT number that must be displayed on all CMVs that your company operates, including leased vehicles. There is no charge to obtain this number from the USDOT-FMCSA.
What are the new rules about DOT markings?
For guidance on displaying the DOT number on your vehicles, see:
- MA Gov Regulatory Bulletin: Intrastate USDOT Number Requirement: Effective September 1, 2018
- MA State Police Memorandum (PDF)
- MA Association of Insurance Agents: RMV: Changes to the MA State Markings Regulation 540 CMR 2:22